EyeSightForAll.org is a not-for-profit, started by two San Francisco Bay Area school students, aimed at raising awareness of the need to recycle old eyeglasses via donation, so they can be reused in developing countries.
Why Recycle Used Eyeglasses?
- Over 1 billion people in developing countries need eyeglasses but cannot afford them.
- Over 4 million pairs of eyeglasses are thrown away each year in North America.
- 25% of the global population needs eyeglasses.
- 50% of children in institutions for the blind in Africa would be able to read normal or large print if they had eyeglasses.
- The price for glasses in many impoverished countries can exceed three months' average salary.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), an estimated 44% of men, women, and children in developing countries need, but do not have eyeglasses.
You Are Visitor